no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 35 years in 500 words or less

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

35 years in 500 words or less

After more than 10 years in freight forwarding (primarily export airfreight), which is a very interesting and challenging industry, I eventually felt it was time to move on. So I took some time off and did some study to get into the IT industry. Currently doing software development (and some network support as needed) for a Sydney based company that I've been working for since mid 2000.

Got into Scuba Diving in the early 90's...did the PADI Advanced Open Water course, including Night Diving, Search & Recovery. I’ve mostly dived around Sydney plus up and down the coast as well as in Indonesia. Now I dive locally out of Laurieton with Scuba Haven...they run some great dives out at Cod Grounds with the Grey Nurse sharks, as well as the Titan (a crane sunk in about 40m of water) and the usual array of other sites. Most recent dive trip away was out at Julian Rocks off the coast of Byron Bay.

Messed around with various sports such as squash, tennis, basketball, surfing, going to the gym/weights, and did a bit of training in the martial art of Ninjutsu which was quite an interesting experience. I did some cycling at one stage, including 2 Sydney to the Gong bikes rides in 1999 and 2000. Nothing too serious.

Got my Private Pilot Licence out of Bankstown Airport...qualified to fly Night VFR (Visual Flight Rules) in twin engine aircraft...gave it away just before the Commercial Licence stage.

Been snow skiing for more than a couple of decades, the highlight being a couple of months over at Blackcomb, Canada where I did an instructors course with Mike Dempsey. Apart from that, I’ve mostly skied in Australia, and also NZ.

As far as travelling…apart from the ski trips, been up through a few Asian countries, including Indonesia where my parents lived for quite a few years, and around some of Europe. Not to mention some exploration of Australia.

After living in various parts of Sydney over the years I’ve now been living in beautiful Port Macquarie on the Mid North Coast of NSW for the last 2 ½ years with my two gorgeous girls - Jodie and Isabel, with another on the way…this one to (probably!) even up the gender balance in the household! With Jodie studying, my travel to Sydney every few weeks for work and an 8 month old daughter, most recreational pursuits have taken a back seat (more like in the boot), at least for now. In a fit of responsibility I even sold my motorbike!
As such, running is my main recreational focus at the moment due to financial and time constraints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home