no Dive, Rock 'n Run: No thanks, no dirty chicken for me

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Thursday, April 13, 2006

No thanks, no dirty chicken for me

Well, that’s what I should have said. Instead I’ve been floored with a nasty little case of food poisoning for the last couple of days. Prime suspect is the reheated takeaway chicken dish that I had for lunch on Monday!

Tuesday was terrible…made it to mid morning before I just couldn’t sit up or concentrate at all. I ended up lying in bed without the energy or desire to move, yet having that restlessness where you can’t stop thrashing about because your muscles are aching. You don’t want to move because it might make the pain worse, yet keep hoping that a new position will ease the pain just a bit. At its worst it felt like I was in the tunnel where the daylight seems so far away…like you’ll never get out of there. I find it interesting that even though you logically know it will be over in a day or two, at the time you can’t help but get caught up in the drama of the situation and feeling sorry for yourself!!

So I couldn’t do anything more than force a glass or two of water and lemonade and a few pieces of toast down on Tuesday. By Wednesday the pain had eased off and appetite started to return, but the lack of food and drink from the day before were taking their toll. At least I got a lot of rest yesterday. Today I feel a world better. Whilst there is still some discomfort I feel much more alert and even my annoying little head cold has been frightened off.

As far as training goes, I’ll probably consider today my final sickness day, then another 2-3 days to let the body recover properly. I might go for a light run on Sunday or Monday and if I feel fine then I’ll get back into the program. That will put me a week behind, although this week was scheduled as a lighter recovery week and only week 4 of 12 so it’s as good timing as any. If I’m feeling strong again next week I might just blend some of the recovery week schedule in with what should have been coming next week to get back on track. In thinking about it just now I’m getting really keen to get back out again, especially after Monday’s big run.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome messages now that I’ve gone public. I’ve also discovered bloglines - makes it so easy to see what everyone’s up to. I’ll have to catch up on some blog reading over Easter to psyche myself up for next week a bit more!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:37 am, Blogger Rachel said…

    My boyfriend had food poisoning 2 weeks ago and it was not a pretty sight. Yours sounded much worse, how awful! Glad your on the road to recovery.

     
  • At 12:57 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Oh I feel for you. I had really bad food poisoning a few years ago, and haven't eaten that since! That it easy....rehydrate...you'll be back in no time.

     
  • At 8:14 pm, Blogger Lulu said…

    Nasty! Hope you're soon back out on the streets of Port! Don't stress out too much about missing a few runs.

     
  • At 6:34 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh you poor thing. Take it easy this weekend and don't rush back into it too quickly :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home