no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Back to some Running now

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Back to some Running now

Week 6 of 18

Tuesday 7km Intervals
After a day off and a massage on Monday I was up for some intervals today – specifically 3 x 4 minutes firm with 2 minute jog recovery. I cruised along Matthew Flinders Drive and through Emerald Downs keeping the efforts to the flat sections as much as possible. Hot and sweaty.


Wednesday 14.5km Medium Aerobic
I ran through Dahlsford and Greenmeadows Estates then up Lake Rd, Gordon St and back via Pacific Drive at around 5:40 pace.


Thursday 45 minutes Cross Training – Cycle
I rode along a similar route to my run yesterday. Afterwards I caught up with Miners at a shiny new café in town over coffee and breakfast. For those who read The Miner Monologues it will be clear whose influence is involved in going for coffee after a ride but I’d like to point out that I’d been home, showered and changed beforehand so it was really a separate event. Still, I know it’s a slippery slope ;)


Friday 8.5km Strength / Endurance Run
More hill repeats. This time it was 3 x 2 minute efforts up the same hill after a 6km warm up. I was hitting the same mark after 90 seconds as I was last week but was only 3/4 of the way through at that point. I thought this was supposed to be an easy week…lucky there were only 3 reps! A tough one.


Sunday 20km Long Run
I mapped myself out an estate run today. Not quite 8 beaches in 8km, but I really needed 20km so too bad!
Made my way through: the estate south of Emerald Downs (?), Emerald Downs, Dahlsford, Crestwood, Greenmeadows, the Industrial Estate, Flynns, Waniora. Ok, I know the last couple are a bit dodgy…they’re really more areas rather than estates, but it’s my run and I’ll call it what I like :P
It was a very warm morning, and the route turned out to be a little hillier than I expected, so it was tough. Carried but didn’t use a gel.



Tesso, as far as a goal for the marathon. I’m thinking that apart from finishing, I’d like to beat 4 hours. Some days that seems like a tough ask whilst on others it seems more probable. It’s still early, with the serious part of the training to come. I think once I knock over one of the 36km runs I’ll have a better idea as I’ve yet to run more than 30km in my life!


This week is a “Hard” week. Running should be on track but my cross training sessions are thrown out. On Monday it was replaced with a long drive through the fire affected areas to the north of Sydney. Thursday’s is being replaced by the Big Day Out, which is more than worthy of cross training status seeing as there are bands I’d like to see almost continuously from 1pm to 11.30pm. Anyone else gonna be there on Thursday? Oh, and a little dinner on Wednesday night also :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 2:09 pm, Blogger miners said…

    hey, I like the idea of the estate run! Although the industrial estate isn't the best for its scenic value I suppose ...

    That estate south of Emerald Downs (while distinct from) is usually referred to part of Emerald Downs anyway - notice the street names are precious stones (jade, amethyst, olivine etc..?) like the 'emerald'. Most of us refer to it as Marbuk though, as there used to be a zoo of sorts there called 'Marbuk Park' before it was subdivided (hence the name of the main entry road).

    I'm still thinking this cafe-ing mid-week needs to be a regular thing - you might need a little push down that slope after all ;)

     
  • At 8:10 pm, Blogger Ewen said…

    If I can find my Aussie flag I'll be there ;)

    That Miners chap is a bad influence!

    I'd say the early stages of your sub-4 campaign are on track Paul. Keep it going :)

     
  • At 8:33 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Stay away from Miners. He's a bad influence ;-)

    See you tomorrow !

     
  • At 9:02 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    The way you are going I reckon you'll do sub 4 hours easily. The 'good' think about running Canberra is we have to do our training in summer, and that makes you tough!

    Enjoy BDO. Can't wait to hear your report.

     
  • At 4:55 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Great work on your training Paul and things still appear well on track. I just love the variation you have there in your program. You are well ahead of me in terms of preparation I think.

    I had hoped to meet you in Canberra but there may be a change in my Marathon plans - my blog will reveal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home