no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Hello Summer

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Friday, December 01, 2006

Hello Summer

Wednesday Run 6km
Today was just an easy recovery run. I made my way to Flynns Beach via Pacific Drive then back via Kennedy Drive. Came upon Gwyneth from Peloton along the way who was out for a run so I had someone to chat to for a km or so before we took our different ways home.

There were an unusually high number of cyclists out this morning for some reason. Must be a Wednesday thing and I just haven’t been out much on a Wednesday morning lately!


Thursday Swim 1km
It had been nearly three weeks since my last swim so I wasn’t expecting much, which was a shame since the last swim I did was my longest yet and felt great. I just haven’t had a chance to get to the pool with the recent travelling and disarray around here since returning home, so it was back to square one.

So I just went for an easy half hour. Did 700m freestyle and 300m breaststroke with plenty of breaks.


Friday Run 6km
Today I did a typical taper session consisting of 2 x 5 min tempo efforts with a 5 minute jog recovery.
Tyler was fussing pretty much all night so I didn’t get more than an hour of straight sleep as I vividly recall seeing every hour appear on the clock throughout the night. He was still going at 5am so I figured I may as well head out. It was a nice sunrise too. The other pain from the night is in my neck…I must have worked myself into an odd position at some stage during my fitful sleep, as my neck and shoulder blades are quite sore, which inhibited my run and made it difficult to turn my head to check for traffic. In fact there’s generally very little vehicular traffic in the morning but I’m more concerned about cyclists sneaking up on me!


So I finished November with a total of 122km, which is a considerable increase on each of the last three months, but felt more like getting back to a standard level than an increase.

Last night I was reading the report I wrote on my last (first) Half, and was thinking about it today on the run. The main thing I wanted to focus on was my mental attitude to the race. I don’t want to fall too much into the “done all the hard work, now enjoy the day” frame of mind (even though I haven’t really done that much hard work this time!). Whilst I will enjoy it, I need to keep in mind that there will be times when I just need to put my head down and slog it out in the final third of the race at times when I might feel like easing off. Having said that, I think I’ll need to keep reminding myself that “it’s just a training run (race)”…” it’s just a training run (race)”…” it’s just a training run (race)”. I’ll really just be happy to hit 110 minutes at the Central Coast Half, ease up for a week or two and then set my gaze on the Canberra Marathon.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 11:25 am, Blogger Lulu said…

    Sounds like a good attitude to the race on Sunday. You're right about needing to slog out the last 7kms so I'll try and remember that myself when I'm tempted to ease off!

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    You're right about the mental side of things, the minds plyas a big part in that last third of a half mara.

    Sounds like with the huge contingent of CRs its giong to be a great morning so one thing is for sure, you will have fun :-)

    Good luck!

     
  • At 3:43 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    It's just a training run(race)...

    Good luck!

     
  • At 6:19 pm, Blogger miners said…

    Certainly is summer around here. Hey, that's the best strategy for Sunday. I'll be doing the same and running around a similar time as you, so we can have a decent chat. We always seem to catch up more OUT of town than in ;)

     
  • At 11:07 am, Blogger Ewen said…

    Hope the training run (race) went well Paul. I bet it was a big day. Looking forward to the report.

     
  • At 5:02 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Was lovely to see you over the weekend Paul. I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you & J. Hope you had a safe trip home - can't wait to read your report!

     
  • At 8:23 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Very interesting what you said about the mental side of things there, Paul, and it has made rethink some of my own thinking.

    I also have to commend you for getting out for a run when you had had a difficult night with Tyler. I've 'been there, done that' but usually find I 'stay there, don't do that' and don't get myself out of bed after a bad night with the kids. So well done to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home