no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Week 5 of 18...done

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Week 5 of 18...done

Week 4 (cont)

Saturday (6/1/07) Cycling
The program includes a day or two a week of cross training, and seeing as I’m struggling to get to the pool later in the day at the moment, I decided I may as well cover it with some time on the bike. I took just under an hour out through the industrial area before heading back into town and home along the beaches.


Sunday 17km Long Run
I made my way through the Lighthouse Beach area, along the coast to Town Beach, and wound my way home through some of the back streets. As it was a shorter long run I wanted to keep it at roughly at my expected marathon pace, and finished in roughly an hour and a half. The pace itself was fairly comfortable over what I’d say is a hillier course than Canberra. Now I need to work on my endurance so I can keep it up for two and a half times that distance!


Week 5 of 18

Tuesday 5km Recovery Run
Nice easy run finishing with 5x60m strides.


Wednesday 13km Aerobic Run
I covered a similar route to the long run…just without the Lighthouse Beach section at the start.


Thursday 1 hour Cycle
Out around the Innes Lake area for this early morning ride.


Friday 10km Strength/Endurance Run
I skipped the hill workout last week, so this was my first session with hill reps for at least 6 months. After running along Bangalay Drive, Matthew Flinders Drive and through Emerald Downs I hit the hill where Pacific Drive climbs up from Ocean Drive and knocked out 4 x 90 second efforts with jog back recoveries. This was tough as I was trying to drive strongly up the hill, but each rep fell a few metres short of the previous effort. At least I’ve got the mark to aim for now, and it’ll be interesting in a few weeks time to see if I can improve on that after a few more hill sessions.


Sunday 25km Long Run
I was in a really good frame of mind for this run, and it seemed to fly by in a flash. I went out along the Oxley Highway past the golf driving range before working my way to Town Beach and home via the beaches. After a half hour period when the sun was blazing even though it was early, the clouds came in and cooled things right down to perfect running weather.
I ended up with a couple of short breaks, the first one whilst refilling the fuel belt on Gordon Street. I had a bit of a chat with a few local runners that I hadn’t seen for a while down at Town Beach. They’d just finished their run, and after standing around for a few minutes my legs thought it was a bit cruel of me to start going again when they thought we were also done for the day! I lost a bit of rhythm after that unexpected stop, but made it home the last few k’s without too much trouble.

I had a good preparation for this run. Apart from drinking lots of water the day before and in the morning, I have a few Endura Magnesium formula samples, and tried one of them before I left, as well as an Up and Go and a banana. I certainly felt good for most of the run so something worked well.



Week 5 was classified as a Moderate week, and next week is an Easy one before the program starts to build from there. Everything feels fine at the moment. I have a massage booked for tomorrow and I’m looking forward to that. I have another post to write up in the next day or so that I’m very excited about!!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 4:53 pm, Blogger Shane said…

    I like the looks of your program you are following. A few rest days and also some cross training, which seems to be going well for you.

    Keep up the good work :-)

     
  • At 7:07 pm, Blogger Ewen said…

    Good to read that everything is on track Paul. I'm curious about your next post!

    I must give that Endura Magnesium a go... this hot weather is making me sweat.

     
  • At 9:12 am, Blogger TD said…

    So far, so good, Paul. I think Shane has made a good point about your program, which does appear to be a nicely balanced one.

    (Thanks as always for your comments on my blog. I have a busy travel schedule over the next few months and I do have a little worry that it will affect my marathon prep for Canberra)

     
  • At 9:38 am, Blogger Gronk said…

    Things are coming together nicely mate. Wow, you really have some great places to run.

     
  • At 2:15 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Things are coming along nicely for Canberra by the sounds of it. Do you have a goal time in mind???

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger miners said…

    hmm .. repeast up Pacific Drive from the Jonas Absalom roundabout? Tough work mate - but great for the leg strength. Shame I missed you down at Town Beach on that Sunday. Let me know a good time you might be around for a swim or something - we need to get ourselves up to date on news!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home