no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Cross training and Intervals

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Cross training and Intervals

Saturday: 25km Cycle

After months of putting it off I finally pulled the bike out of the garage today while Isabel was down for her morning sleep. The bike isn’t fast…it’s not pretty…and it’s certainly not built for comfort. If it looked even half as good as the Miner Rocket or Jen’s new ride then I’d post a photo of it.

I went out past the golf driving range, before heading over to Town Beach and back along the coast. I took an unscheduled break at Town Beach as the swell was up, so I watched a fairly big pack chase the waves breaking out the back in good conditions.

All up the ride time was just over 70 minutes excluding the break, with an average HR of 136 bpm.

The afternoon’s exercise is an upper body workout: splitting firewood.


Sunday 7km with 5 x 400m Intervals

Not too sure of the merits of speed training just a week after the Half, but I wanted a bit of preparation with the 10km coming up in 2 weeks.

I've finally worked out an accurate 400m on one of the playing fields near town. The first 400m took 1:30 and felt good, as did the warm up. The other four intervals were all just under 1:45. Each interval had a 90 second jog recovery.

The legs felt a bit heavy from the second interval to the end of the run. Maybe a result of the first ride for about 8 months. They certainly feel good now after several hours and seem fully recovered from the Half.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:30 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Yah! So pleased to hear that you've recovered so well after the Half.

    I won't see you when you are down for the next Striders (I'm heading up to GCM) but you might just see me in the Hunter Valley ;-)

     
  • At 6:55 am, Blogger Mandy said…

    Hmmm if it makes you feel better, I'll show you my Norco...but with all this OT, I'm getting myself a new one soon...whooooooo zoooom zoooom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home