no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 2 Days to go

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Friday, June 09, 2006

2 Days to go

Wednesday 5km Recovery

It was wet on the ground with threatening clouds about as I was dressing, but I’m not precious about my new shoes any more so I strapped them on. The rain obediently held off until I was 10 minutes in and nicely warmed up (helps that the cold snap has passed, so the mornings are respectably over 10 degrees or so by 7am). So I enjoyed the light rain falling as well.

I was really conscious throughout of keeping this one very relaxed. I traced my old “inner Lighthouse loop” through Bangalay Drive which I rarely use anymore as it’s only 3km, then extended down to Shelly Beach before heading back home.

At half an hour it seemed to be over ridiculously quickly. I was thinking that not long ago most of my runs were only 5 minutes longer than this, and it’s satisfying to be reminded in odd ways like that about the progress I’ve made.


Friday 6km Recovery with Strides

I woke up to a beautiful morning today and enjoyed an easy run around my Waniora 6km loop. Did the required strides and threw in a few brief surges at race pace just to remember what it feels like! I had to resist the devil on my shoulder telling me “if you turn left here you can extend the run another couple of km”.

Fortunately work’s been so busy, so I don’t have too much time to dwell on how odd it feels to be running at such reduced distances and intensities when I know the half is only a couple of days away. I always feel a bit rusty on my first run back when I’ve had a few days off, and it’s got that feel about it even though I am doing some easy runs. Hopefully the 4 km planned tomorrow will keep it at bay.

The forecast is for rain on Sunday, so I’ve been mentally preparing for that possibility. Then again they forecast showers for yesterday and today but both days have been sunny (unless you were silly enough to get up early enough to catch the rain that fell very first thing in the morning yesterday ;o) ).

I think I did a decent job of loading up on some carbs yesterday, and trying to drink a bit more water. This will continue throughout today and there’s a hearty meal planned for tonight before easing back a bit tomorrow.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:21 pm, Blogger miners said…

    good idea re: the carbo loading and the wet-weather training. Hopefully it'll be as beautiful as it is today for us!

     
  • At 12:28 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Good luck on Sunday!!! Looking forward to reading a happy race report :-)

     
  • At 1:49 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Aww, I love a light drizzle...was shaping up for a run like that for me tonight until the snap down pour and fog!

     
  • At 5:10 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Rain here all week & wouldn't dare put on my new runners!!

    I hope you have a great run on Sunday - rain or no rain - & look forward to reading all about it...good luck!

     
  • At 11:42 am, Blogger Jen said…

    Good luck for Sunday. You won't need it though because you've had a great preparation. So instead I will say "have fun & enjoy it". After all, you only get to run your first Half once!

     
  • At 5:55 pm, Blogger TD said…

    All the best on Sunday, and very much looking forward to reading your report.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home