no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 20km Aerobic

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Friday, May 26, 2006

20km Aerobic

Today was the last of the longer aerobic runs with 2 weeks to go until the Half.

Set off in the pre dawn darkness with the fuel belt loaded up. Today was run in a figure 8 pattern, passing home at about 70 minutes. I started down the length of Pacific Drive so I could take in the sunrise, heading all the way to the breakwall. As nice as a perfectly clear sky is, it’s more spectacular to have some cloud on the horizon to bring out the colours from the sun. Anyway, after a short trip along the river I headed back to the start mostly via Granite Street, which made a nice change as I don’t usually travel the full length of it.

I left some water and Gatorade on the front step, so after a quick refuel I headed out to the Lighthouse where I popped a Raspberry Hammer Gel. This had a similar consistency to the GU I tried, and tasted pretty good. But I think I prefer the likes of the PB and High 5 gels, which are easier to get down and require less water. Of course the trade off is obviously the thicker gels aren’t as running so they seem to reduce any mess/stickiness.

Then it was down along Lighthouse Beach and a loop out past the Tacking Point Tavern. I saved a solid climb for the final part of the run and felt that I ran it strongly. I didn’t need any persuasion to opt out of the gruelling climb to the top of Transit Hill, and settled instead for a solid finish up to the top of Astronomers Terrace, which brought up 1 hour and 52 minutes. Then it was just a short walk home followed by some relaxing stretches.

Overall I felt good at the end of it all. In fact the little niggles from last week seem to have cleared right up. I was happy with the variety on the run as well – certainly not a flat course for the most part today.

And just for a change, there was no weather whatsoever in Port Macquarie this morning :P

3 Comments:

  • At 3:22 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    wow no weather...guess you sent it all here...we had 3 seasons today.

     
  • At 7:59 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Great run Portr. You've had a terrific prep. It sure is going to pay off on the big day :-)

     
  • At 4:26 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Nice run, Paul. Good to see the niggles aren't causing too many problems now. I hope things continue this way. Just noticed in one of your earlier posts reference to a sub-zero temp in Port. Was I reading that right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home