no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 9km with Tempo + 4 x 90sec Hill Reps

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

9km with Tempo + 4 x 90sec Hill Reps

This is more like it!

Following a 3km warm up I launched into the 12 minute tempo effort that was hilly for most parts through McLaren Drv, Granite St, Braemar Drv and Waniora Pkwy to meet up with Mimosa Drive, which was today’s feature hill.

It was closer to 13 minutes by the bottom of the hill, at which point the first rep was really tough. Turns out this hill was spot on 90 seconds, and I turned back just short of the top on all but the last rep when I just made it to the very top. There are a couple of steeper hills around, but this one is a good length and sucks you in with a relatively gentle start. The incline seems to continually increase all the way to the top so you really have to step up the effort to keep the strides strong as you reach the top. It’s such a relief to pivot and let the slope drag you back down!!

Feeling great now after a really solid session. I think I'm addicted to my training program.
Hi, my name's Paul and I'm hooked on 12 week training programs...less than 48 hours to my next fix :o)

I was just calculating how many k’s I’ve covered this month and projecting what’s on the program for the rest of the May. Based on my build up so far this year I was hoping to cover about 150-160 km for May. With 99km in the bank already, at this point it’s looking to be around 170km, and that’s even with recovery runs converted to days off! So in a concerted effort to build up slowly and keep any overuse symptoms from popping up I’ll have to finally dust off the bike and do a couple of easy rides as recovery run substitutes.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:05 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Only way you will know for sure is with a Garmy of your very own....yarrr

     
  • At 2:36 pm, Blogger Shane said…

    Tough session there Paul. How good is it when you feel great and look forward to your next training session.

    170k for the month is a good effort, keep it up :)

     
  • At 2:22 pm, Blogger Lulu said…

    Good idea to build up nice and gradually. I'm sure your legs will thank you for a couple of days off.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home