no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 8km incl. 4x600m Intervals

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Sunday, April 30, 2006

8km incl. 4x600m Intervals

I warmed up on the way down to the Mackillop playing fields for the first of the “VO2” sessions on my program. The guide says to run them at 5km race pace with a 2 minute jogging recovery but warns against getting carried away and doing then too hard, so it seems like a fine line.

I actually did 700m for the first one as I miscalculated, but did a more accurate 600m for the other three. I finished the 2nd and 3rd 600m in the time it took for the 1st 700m! But on the final hit out I was a bit more relaxed and just focused on a good breathing rhythm and maintaining form, and I ended up with a quicker time for an easier perceived effort. Nice finish!

I even had a spectator who hung around to watch me for one of the intervals in the form of a guy who was having a little trouble holding himself steady and had a 1.25L coke that was no doubt more than it seemed, even though it was 7.30am. After a few minutes he probably decided he had more exciting places to be so he continued on his journey.

So that rounded off 137km for the month, which is about 20% up on last month. So in a way the food poisoning did me a favour in terms of having a few days off and not going overboard in my build up!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:11 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said…

    give the guy the benefit of the doubt - maybe he'd run a marathon and was replacing calories with coke :) and came along to check out your technique... hehe

     
  • At 1:34 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Good job Paul! I have nothing to say...how odd.

     
  • At 5:25 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    Exfoliator.

     
  • At 5:43 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    Those kind of guys are surprisingly common! Or maybe he's the same one I saw here in Mildura a few weeks ago at 7am in the morning. Was he wearing an Akubra hat and Dry as a bone coat?

     
  • At 12:08 am, Blogger TD said…

    I was kinda impressed you actually had someone stop and watch you do intervals, not matter what his credentials - sober or otherwise. The only things ever watching me do intervals are the odd dog or two and a magpie with evil intentions!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home