no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Ah yes, that’s what running feels like…

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ah yes, that’s what running feels like…

…just like walking only faster…and harder.

There just doesn’t seem to be enough time to get everything done at the moment, so now it turns out to be two weeks since I last posted. A few days in Sydney will no doubt give me a chance to get a few things up to date, and Jodie should get some help around here while I’m away so hopefully it won’t be too stressful for her while I’m away.

I ended up waiting a few extra days than planned before going for a run, eventually getting out last Monday night. It was a see how it goes run, and it went good! I started off tentatively, and made it through just over 5km in just under half an hour. The only complaint was some abdominal discomfort due to dinner even though I gave it an hour and a half. I don’t think running at that late hour agreed with me, as I had a weird night’s sleep. The previous run longer than 1km was exactly one month earlier – no doubt the legs appreciated the break. I was expecting the first few runs to be tough, but was pleased to be getting along a bit quicker than anticipated.

I followed up on Wednesday and Friday mornings with easy 6km runs. Felt good to start a couple of days with early morning runs again.

Apart from that I managed three 1.2km swims and four rides of an hour each.

My swimming is coming along ok. I’m just happy to be able to do 100m without struggling for breath at the end, and on Friday I did the 400m breaststroke section of my swim without a break. It’s nice to be at a point where I can reliably count my laps and actually be aware of how poor my technique is!

The recent Thursday cycle was great. I headed out before sunrise, and the chill in the air brought a tear to the eye when the speed picked up on the downhills with just bike shorts and a t-shirt on. I saw the sun rise over Oxley and Town beaches - it was a great morning after all the recent wind and rain. I rode past Settlement City and through Clifton before heading back down Gordon St for the home stretch along the beaches.

This was the sequence since my last post. Hopefully I’ll keep my posts a bit more up to date from now.

Tuesday Swim
Thursday Cycle
Friday Swim
Saturday Cycle
Monday Run
Wednesday Run
Thursday Cycle
Friday Run and Swim
Saturday Cycle

6 Comments:

  • At 7:19 am, Blogger Lulu said…

    Good to see you back out hitting the road! I'm sure you'll get your running fitness back quickly as you've been keeping so active.

     
  • At 7:39 am, Blogger Jen said…

    Lovely to have you back Paul & to hear that you are on the road again. I have no doubt that your legs appreciated the break & are now ready to roll on towards Canberra...

     
  • At 12:02 pm, Blogger miners said…

    Glad to see you've found time to still get out there Paul. Sorry I've missed seeing you around! Hey, I am now trying to get to the pool on Tuesday & Thursday mornings at 6.00am, and Saturday afternoons at 2.00pm in case you're looking for company. The wednesday and Saturday runs are still always looking for extras too :)

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Blogger Random Psychologist said…

    Hey there!

    Thats some good work thats happening there :) Maybe u should consider some kind of triathlon sport :P

    Good to see you back

    T

     
  • At 9:50 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Fantastic to see you on the road, in the pool and on the saddle, Paul. Port seems such a great spot for all these things and I would love to get back there again one day myself. Anyway, it seems so far, so good for you.

     
  • At 1:58 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    Ooh, that looks a lot like a triathlon training plan!!!
    Have fun with the swimming and riding :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home