no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Hot and Cold

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hot and Cold

Saturday Afternoon 5km

This was a quick half hour at my first opportunity: 4pm. The only word to describe the first couple of km is sluggish, but after that I was ok. It was an hour and a half after largish, late lunch and I could really feel I was carrying some extra weight compared to first thing in the morning!!
So I trotted along Bangalay Rd through the middle of the Lighthouse area, down to Shelly Beach and home.


Sunday Midday 11km

Again I couldn’t do a morning run, but this time I was mentally prepared for a slow start so it didn’t bother me. In fact it was a spectacular spring like afternoon, and it was just enjoyable to be outside.

Whilst this wasn’t really a long run, I boiled down some of the long run advice from dinner the other night and stopped back home after 40 minutes to check that everything was ok and to grab a much needed drink. After that I didn’t really feel like going too much further, so I just went out for another 20 minutes or so.

Then seeing as it was such a nice day we all ventured out after I had some lunch and a quick shower.


Tuesday Intervals - 6km

After the weekend it was so refreshing to be out again before the sun was up. It’s been a couple of weeks since I did anything quick(ish), so I decided to do some 1 minute efforts. All up I did 8 intervals, each with around a minute jog recovery.

I miss these faster sessions given that at the moment I’m mostly plodding along. I’m planning to start another program in September to prepare for the Central Coast Half, so I’m sure by then I’ll be really keen for some of the more intense sessions.


I definitely feel fresher when running at dawn. There seems to be less resistance, it’s cooler, there are fewer cars about and it’s great to see the start of a new day. Sometimes at the start of the runs in the middle of the day I feel a bit more like I would be approaching the 10km mark of a dawn run in terms of fatigue. They seem to be becoming a little more convenient at times though, so it might just be a matter of acclimatising to them as it’s not much good to write off training for the whole day just because I can’t get out first thing in the morning. Besides, it has to be good mental conditioning to be pushing through that extra fatigue, and should prepare me better for when summer arrives, so there are advantages.


No hint of any early arrivals yet. Any spare time I have at the moment is being used to get the place organised for an extra person around the house. I was washing some of Isabel's newborn clothes and it was just amazing how small they seem now and how much she's grown in the year. She’s walking everywhere now so the time has also come to seriously baby proof the house!

9 Comments:

  • At 9:53 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh, how exciting! Not long to go now :-)

     
  • At 10:18 pm, Blogger speedygeoff said…

    hmmm. everyone is carrying extra weight then...

    better get used to very early starts?

     
  • At 6:45 am, Blogger Wobbly man said…

    Enjoy your sleep while you have it! When is the arrival due?

     
  • At 9:23 am, Blogger Ellie80 said…

    good running paul - hope the next post is a baby one!

     
  • At 10:15 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    I know the feeling with the afternoon and evening runs. First of all its so hard to get up off the couch and go when there seems so many better things to do, er, like watch the news. It takes me so long to warm up for them the run is almost over before I have. But I agree, its good mental conditioning. And even if you feel sluggish and slow its better than doing nothing.

    Goodness knows what times you'll be sneaking off to do your runs when the new bub arrives!

     
  • At 1:43 pm, Blogger Mandy said…

    you do laundry?

     
  • At 6:10 pm, Blogger miners said…

    hmmm ... baby proofing for toddlers. Always seems to be something (which later seems obvious) that you forget. Get ready for your wallet or remote control to turn up in the laundry basket :)

    Great to see you're still getting out for those runs, even with the late start. You're right, they will only help when spring & summer hits us properly. I take it Lake Macquarie is definitely out then? I'm afraid it is for me too ...

     
  • At 7:53 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Tidying up around the house....is that the nesting instinct at work here, Paul? I definately a morning person too, when it comes to my running.

     
  • At 10:29 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Any news????????

     

Post a Comment

<< Home