no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Sydney Striders 10km – Homebush

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Sydney Striders 10km – Homebush

Official time: 44:59…I did it, but only just!!

Met a few more CR’s this morning, although not as much overload as last time at North Head so I’m game to name a few, and it was particularly great to meet some more bloggers for the first time. There was Ellie80, Blkbox, Gronk, Will, Uncle Dave, Horrie, Gnome, FakePlasticTrees, Superflake, and a few others. It’s funny how just about everyone identified Will as “the Frenchman” when they (we) met him.

I enjoyed the conditions and the company today, and in spite of the sharp turns, gravel loop and corkscrew I really like this course.

My 10km goal for the year on Go Girl’s Challenge thread on CR was sub 45 minutes. Last year I ran this Homebush course in 48:30, North Head two months ago was 45:53. In the blur as I went past the clock I thought I crossed the line spot on 45 minutes. The official time is in and it’s 44 minutes and 59 seconds!! A new PB and my goal time for the year achieved with exactly no time to spare :) :) :) It’s fortunate that it came off today, as I can’t guarantee I’ll get another shot at a 10km race this year.

I really need to thank the guy that I passed on the way up the corkscrew with just over 200 metres to go. He started sprinting over the bridge to the finish, pulled level with me, at which point I responded and it was on from there! I knew I had him well beaten near the end of the bridge (11 seconds on him in the end) so I eased a tiny bit until I saw the clock showing just 10 seconds to beat 45 so I floored it and obviously just made it! But without the challenge he put on I would have just missed out, so I’m really grateful about that :)

I was pleased with my fairly consistent pace. This was my third 10km race, and with this one I was more comfortable about keeping the intensity up at times that I would previously have eased off. This is the mental edge that was missing at the Half. I turned up relaxed yet prepared to tough out the difficult stages, confident that I could maintain the pace all the way to the end. Another strong finish for me which indicates I could have given a bit more earlier on, which might have saved the need for the desparate dash at the end.

After the formalities, some stretching (thanks to Ellie’s prompting, as I often forget to stretch in these situations) and a quick change I was well out of there by 8.30 and back home by lunchtime.

My splits were:

1: 4:23
2: 4:32
3: 4:28
4: 4:31
5: 4:35 (22:29)
6: 4:35
7: 4:38
8: 4:29
9: 4:37
10: 4:11 (22:30)

10 Comments:

  • At 9:25 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said…

    Wow! Talk about cutting it fine LOL

    Congratulations on achieving your goal time - sounds like you had a great race today :-)

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Blogger Horrie said…

    Congratulations on reaching your 2006 goal. You might have cut it fine but you still achieved it just the same. And you did it without a pacer. Just goes to show that there is still a bit of improvement there. With a bit more training and experience under your belt, you will be going sub 44 before you know it.

     
  • At 6:36 am, Blogger TD said…

    Fantastic Paul, well done. Clearly your training is paying off here but I can't help to think that it the mental side of things, especially your positive approach to running and to life generally, not least you great people skills, that has also contributed to this PB.

     
  • At 8:48 am, Blogger Shane said…

    Congratulations on a new PB, great run. You were very consistant and that last km was awesome. Well done and congrats again Paul.

     
  • At 10:00 am, Blogger Ellie80 said…

    great run paul!! nice to meet you properly :) am wishing that i had actually focussed and stretched properly myself as my legs are a little sore today!! hope the drive home wasn't too bad!

     
  • At 2:42 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    Congrats on the PB and acheiving your goal! sub ? for next year.....

     
  • At 10:53 am, Blogger Mandy said…

    All about dramatic fashion aren't you??

     
  • At 4:08 pm, Blogger Lulu said…

    Great stuff... one of your goals ticked off. Ellie said she had met you and you had a good race. Congrats!

     
  • At 6:38 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Yay - sub 45! That's a great result Paul. Its a nice mental barrier to break, and makes sub 44 and then sub 43 etc seem so much more achievable.

     
  • At 12:58 pm, Blogger miners said…

    he he - brilliant news mate! That's a fantastic time for a technical course. Now we just have to set about finding you a new goal :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home