no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 8km and other stuff

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

8km and other stuff

I headed out for a 6km loop down through Flynns Beach and back past Shelly Beach this morning. There was a steady light drizzle falling for much of the run so I decided that if I’m gonna be out in the rain I may as well make it worthwhile. So I tacked on a couple of extra km around to the Waniora shops.


In other matters…

I’ve been struggling with a decision I’ve had to make about doing the Hunter Valley Half next weekend.. It’s not a fitness issue, but there are a number of other factors that have conspired to the point that I really can’t make it. I’m so disappointed about this. It sounds like it would be fun event and every time I turn around there’s someone else going that it would have been great to see.
I’ll have to comfort myself with the Central Coast Half in another FIVE months and the slimmest of possibilities of getting to the Lake Macquarie Half in six weeks. In the meantime I’ll just work on some aerobic fitness and build up a bit more distance so I’ll be ready to start some full on Marathon training in December.

Recent runs have felt like a huge change of pace since I ran the Half. I know I’m working on some aerobic fitness at the moment, but after following a reasonably intense, structured program in preparation for the Half the pace feels a bit flat now and the runs lacking direction. It’s not that I’m not enjoying it…far from it. I think it’s just the contrast against three months of intervals and other harder sessions. Although I’m taking it a bit easier for a while I still might throw in a tougher session every 10 days or so.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:26 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    Sorry to hear that you won't make it to the HV. Let us know the next time you are in Sydney & we'll arrange another dinner.

     
  • At 12:17 pm, Blogger TD said…

    Interesting post there, Paul. I've been through your situation a few times of planning on something, then pulling out, then going into a lull for a few months before the draw of a major event or marathon gets us back on track. Motivation is rarely an issue for me, I just love getting up in the morning and going running. But it is at those times when things are a little quieter that the motivation can suffer, with the loss of immediate short term goals. I am sure that wont be the case with you.

     
  • At 2:39 pm, Blogger Shane said…

    I too have felt like this, missing an event that you are keen to do is a great disappointment. Although you are enjoying your running there needs to be a sense of purpose at times. I agree with what you have said about throwing in a tough session every few weeks. If you don't have an event in the near future set yourself some intermediate goals, that way you will be able feel that the training is actually doing you good.

     
  • At 8:08 pm, Blogger Random Psychologist said…

    Bummer about not seeing u at the Hunter Valley Half next weekend...was excited at the prospect of a beer! Maybe next time :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home