no Dive, Rock 'n Run: 3 x Run, 1 x Cancelled Run

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

3 x Run, 1 x Cancelled Run

The time is drawing close with “our” due date now less than 3 weeks away and I’m starting to get excited after the long wait. Jodie is a little less excited about some aspects of what is coming up, but is more than ready to have her body back to herself! I’ll be happy if she can hold off for at least a few more days otherwise I’ll have a mad 4-5 hour dash back home! That's a bit scary given that the labour was officially less than 4 hours for Isabel.

I drove to Sydney yesterday, which will be my last visit before the baby is born. Jodie’s Dad is on holidays this week so he’s helping Jodie and keeping the girls company while I’m away.

I’ve been so slack with blog reading and writing. I think that rather than catching up all at once I’m better off chipping away at it.


Thursday 20th - 6km

We were dog sitting for the week, and the weather was kind on Thursday morning so I took them out for a run before work. My plan was to give each of them a 2.5km loop around the block.

They’re a handful together, so I took turns with them. Jade, the husky was up first. The other dog (Snoopy) was howling as I left him behind…he thought he was being neglected and protested accordingly. Jade was enthusiastic for the first km, then settled in for a more relaxed trot beside me, before turning into something of an anchor for the final 500 metres. I think she was happy to be home at the end of it.

By the time I got back for the changeover Snoopy was in a frenzy. He was a bit out of control, weaving all over the place, which was a contrast to Jade who had maintained a steady relative position to me even at the start. But he certainly had more stamina. After 2km he was still charging along, so I took a couple of detours to give him an extra km. At the end he was still keen, but seemed just as satisfied to head back into the yard for a drink of water and a break.

So the dogs were happy and I got a 6km run done with a bit of weaving and a couple of sudden stops when Snoopy decided he preferred to travel on the other side of a couple of trees and poles at the last minute!


Saturday 22nd - 10km

With some inspiration from one of Miners recent runs I decided to head out for 8 to 10km and take a few new pathways in the Lighthouse area. I wasn’t quite sure where I might find myself with a couple of them so I was fairly flexible about how far I was going to run.
I actually started off through a couple of the surrounding estates to notch up about 6km before heading into the maze. There were a couple of interesting sections in there, and the rainforest section at the bottom of the MFD hill was fun dodging the bush turkeys!


Sunday 23rd – Run Cancelled

Isabel had her vaccinations on Friday, and ended up having a rough sleep on Saturday night. I had planned to do a long run on Sunday morning but seeing as I’m not 38 weeks pregnant I thought it better for Jodie to sleep in so I looked after Isabel instead!


Tuesday 25th – 6km

After hearing the rain pour down overnight I was pleased to be faced with just the lightest of drizzle first thing this morning. It was fairly mild, and despite finding a few puddles in the dark it was a pleasant run over to a regular Penshurst, Mortdale and Oatley loop.


I have another run planned for tomorrow morning and a mini CR dinner for tomorrow night which makes missing the Hunter Valley run (despite its reported teething problems) a little more bearable...yay!! :)

6 Comments:

  • At 4:37 pm, Blogger Random Psychologist said…

    Good to hear that you are taking the puppies running! They make training so much more of an adventure :)

    Some good runs though :)

     
  • At 7:56 pm, Blogger Shane said…

    Not long to go now, you must be pretty excited, I bet it is no where near as scary as your first little one.

    My dogs are the same, I think my upper body gets more of workout than my legs.

    Enjoy your CR outing.

     
  • At 8:17 pm, Blogger TD said…

    You don't need to be too apologetic about not blogging or reading others. I think you have more important things on your mind, Paul.

     
  • At 9:05 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    Sounds like some fun and varied workouts over the weekend. I sometimes think it would be nice to have a dog to take running with me sometimes.
    3 weeks is so close. Here's to hoping Jodie holds on till you are home! I guess you won't have any long runs planned over the next few weeks, wouldn't want to miss the birth from being out running ;)

     
  • At 9:42 am, Blogger Lulu said…

    Looking forward to seeing you tonight. I hope you don't get the phone call just after the dinner arrives!

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger miners said…

    Glad you had fun with the turkeys mate. I warned them you might be coming through ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home