no Dive, Rock 'n Run: Hi from Sydney

Dive, Rock 'n Run

Actually more "Run" than anything else at the moment!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hi from Sydney

Monday

9km Run
A beautiful morning for a run, and it’s getting light outside nice and early now. I ran through the middle of the Lighthouse area along Bangalay Drive before heading over to Matthew Flinders Drive by the beach, across to the golf course and through Emerald Downs.

I comfortably made it through in five and a half minute pace. If anything I was a bit tentative and slowed up on some of the downhills as the calf felt a bit tender pounding down the steeper hills at speed. On the gentler downhills I just concentrated on smoothing out the footfalls to remove the main feeling of impact. It could have been my mind playing tricks on me, as it certainly wasn’t sore either during or after the run.


1.4km Swim
I’m feeling better with the swimming. For the first few hundred metres I feel like I’m cruising along (relatively) wonderfully…(relatively) efficient…(relatively) fast…(relatively) effortless! Then the fatigue creeps in, things get ugly and I start needing some longer breaks after each 100m.
I added an extra 100m to my initial freestyle block, bringing it to 500m, then 500m breaststroke non stop followed by a 400m block comprising 300m freestyle with 100m breaststroke in the middle which helps reduce my rest period after each lap. It’s still not pretty, but at least there’s progress!


Tuesday
I drove to Sydney on Tuesday morning. A highlight was the view as I passed an open field just outside of Moorland. The newly risen orange sun was hovering over a sea of fog that was punctuated with a few trees rising out of the mist. That would have been worth stopping for if I actually had my camera on me.

Not feeling the best so I’m tossing up whether to swim tonight. My head feels a bit scratchy, but it might just be a bit of hayfever.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:33 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said…

    well I might need to pick your brains about your swimming... i'd like to be doing 2k freestyle but the book i am reading reckons you should get your stroke right first - otherwise you are just practising bad swimming - which is quite intimidating!!!

    i reckon its just allergies - i've been a bit sneezy all week. have fun in sydney and email me if you want a swimming buddy today or tomorrow!

     
  • At 5:10 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Pity we didn't co-ordindaate our visits to the big smoke. Maybe next time.

    Hopefully I'll get a similar view when I drive in on Friday morn.

     
  • At 5:18 pm, Blogger Shane said…

    Sounds as though you are getting back into the swing of things just nicely. Swimming is a difficult sport to master, it doesn't matter how fit you are if the technique you use is not correct then you just muscle your way through the water expending more energy than required.

    I hope the lurgy is nothing other than hay fever and doesn't disrupt your return.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home